- For best results take 1 capsule daily, preferably with breakfast
- May be increased to 2 capsules per day if desired or professionally directed.
- Do not exceed recommended daily dosage.
- For those unable to swallow capsules, open and mix contents into cool food/drinks.
- Can be taken intensively or on an ongoing basis (daily).
- For Women can safely be taken alongside other supplements in the Optibac Probiotics range.
- Suitable from 4 years onwards
- For best results, do not remove desiccant sachet from the glass jar and close lid firmly after each use.
- Store in a cool, dry place below 25°C and out of direct sunlight. For maximum potency, can be refrigerated after opening.
Optibac Probiotics For Women Customer questions
All questions answered by probiotic experts Dr Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc(Hons) Medical Microbiology and Kerry Beeson BSc (Nut. Med.) Nutritional Therapist.
What are live cultures for women?
Most friendly bacteria supplements are suitable for all genders. However, several strains, such as Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14®* and Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1®*, and Lactobacillus paracasei F-19®, have been shown to survive to reach the vaginal flora. They are regarded as specific vaginal live cultures and can be found in the Optibac Probiotics For Women supplement.
What are women’s live cultures good for?
Friendly bacteria for women help to support the vaginal flora, even when taken orally1. A healthy vagina typically contains Lactobacilli bacteria which produce lactic acid and hydrogen peroxide. These substances help to keep the all-important pH balance in the vagina at an optimum pH of 4.5 (slightly acidic).
How do I choose the best friendly bacteria for women?
The best women’s live cultures supplements contain friendly bacteria specifically researched in women, with the same billions count used in supporting research studies. Optibac Probiotics For Women contains strains used in gold standard clinical trials 2-4 at the same strength of 2.5 billion live cultures per capsule daily.
How long does it take for women’s live cultures to work?
Even when taken orally, vaginal live cultures, such as those in Optibac Probiotics For Women, are proven to reach the vagina alive in 3-4 days. They have been shown in clinical trials5 to colonise in the vagina after just one week.
When is the best time to take friendly bacteria for women?
Even though live cultures produce lactic acid and prefer a slightly acidic environment, getting through the harsh stomach environment can be challenging for these delicate live cultures. Ideally, it’s best to take your friendly bacteria supplement at mealtimes (specifically breakfast time), as the stomach’s gastric acidity is naturally at pH 4 or above, and the food further helps to buffer the acid, and assist the passage of the live cultures into the gut. However, if you forget to take them with breakfast, just take with another meal or snack.
How long do you need to take women’s live cultures for?
This depends on your individual needs. Occasional users might choose a seven-day intensive course, but most women feel more confident when taking vaginal live cultures daily. Optibac Probiotics For Women comes in three sizes: 7 days, 30 days, and 90 days, but is designed for long-term daily use.
Are women’s friendly bacteria safe during pregnancy?
It is perfectly safe to take Optibac For Women during pregnancy; however, pregnant women may prefer to consider a supplement designed for pregnancy, such as Optibac Pregnancy, which contains live cultures specifically researched in pregnant women.
Will vaginal live cultures help my digestion?
The live cultures in Optibac For Women prefer to live in the vaginal flora, but other friendly bacteria strains prefer to live in the gut. This is why many people choose to take a digestive supplement, such as Optibac Every Day, alongside their vaginal live cultures so that they have all-round support for their gut and vaginal flora.
Who can take vaginal live cultures?
Vaginal live cultures supplements, such as Optibac Probiotics For Women, are designed to complement the natural vaginal flora. They may be appropriate and helpful for cis women, trans men, or non-binary people with a vagina.
1. Morelli L, Zonenenschain D, Del Piano M, Cognein P. Utilization of the intestinal tract as a delivery system for urogenital probiotics. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2004;38(6 Suppl). doi:10.1097/01.mcg.0000128938.32835.98
2. Martinez RCR, Franceschini SA, Patta MC, et al. Improved treatment of vulvovaginal candidiasis with flXXXXXXole plus probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2009;48(3):269-274. doi:10.1111/j.1472-765X.2008.02477.x
3. Martinez RCR, Franceschini SA, Patta MC, et al. Improved cure of bacterial vaginosis with single dose of tiXXXXXole (2 g), Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1, and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Can J Microbiol. 2009;55(2):133-138. doi:10.1139/W08-102
4. Beerepoot MAJ, Ter Riet G, Nys S, et al. Lactobacilli vs antibiotics to prevent urinary tract infections: A randomized, double-blind, noninferiority trial in postmenopausal women. Arch Intern Med. 2012;172(9):704-712. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2012.777
5. Anukam K.C. et al., (2006), ‘Augmentation of antimicrobial met*******ole therapy of bacterial vaginosis with oral probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14: randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial’. Microbes Infect. 8(6): 1450-4.
*Health professionals can read more about these strains on the Probiotics Database: Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14® and Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1®
Live cultures are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. those who are severely immunosuppressed, have pancreatitis, are in the ICU, have melaena, have a central venous catheter, short bowel syndrome, or patients with open wounds following major surgery; unless under a doctor's care. Keep out of reach of children.
This is a food supplement and is not intended to prevent, treat or diagnose any medical conditions. Probiotic supplements should not be used as a substitute for a healthy diet and lifestyle. If you are taking any medications or have a serious medical condition, consult a doctor before use. Optibac Probiotics supplements will not cause dependency and may be used on an ongoing basis.