Great product, highly recommend! Super easy to take.
Hello US customer, you are currently shopping on the UK site. To ensure you are charged in the correct currency and receive accurate shipping costs, please switch to the US website and re-add your product to your basket.
Subscribe: Save 15% plus free standard UK delivery
Choose your favourite friendly bacteria supplement(s) and tell us how often you want us to deliver. We'll take care of the rest.
You're away from FREE UK delivery Free UK delivery (applied at checkout) on orders over £40.00
You have qualified for Free UK delivery
A prenatal supplement for pregnant women from conception through to birth. Also suitable post birth and during breastfeeding.
1. Sheih Y et al. (2001). Systemic immunity-enhancing effects in healthy subjects following dietary consumption of the lactic acid bacterium Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001. Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 20 (2): 149-156.
Customer reviews have been collected on our website or independently through Trustpilot where no moderation is possible. Reviews are not endorsed by us and should not be regarded as medical or health advice. For supplement advice, you can speak to one of our qualified experts. The top 3 reviews have been selected from our website, please click view all to explore more customer feedback.
Food supplement suitable for pregnant women from conception through to birth and for breastfeeding and non-breastfeeding women post birth with the following recommendations:
Morning sickness and/or nausea is a common symptom in pregnancy and therefore pregnant women often prefer taking supplements in the form of capsules. To make taking Pregnancy capsules as easy as possible, we recommend tilting the head forward to swallow the capsule. Details below:
Live cultures are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. those who are severely immunosuppressed, have pancreatitis, are in the ICU, have melaena, have a central venous catheter, short bowel syndrome, or patients with open wounds following major surgery; unless under a doctor's care. Keep out of reach of children.
Gut health supplements are not intended to prevent, treat or diagnose any medical conditions. If taking probiotic supplements for gut health, note that these should not be used as a substitute for a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. If you are taking any medications or have a serious medical condition, consult a doctor before use. Optibac supplements will not cause dependency and may be used on an ongoing basis.
Live cultures: Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001, Lactobacillus acidophilus La-14®, Bifidobacterium lactis HN019; corn starch; vegetarian capsule: hydroxypropyl methylcellulose; Fructooligosaccharides (FOS 30mg); anti-caking agent: vegetable magnesium stearate
*Nutrient Reference Value
Each capsule contains 12 billion live cultures guaranteed until the date of expiry.
Following the taxonomic updates advised by a global team of scientists and published in April 2020, a reclassification has been proposed for the Lactobacillus rhamnosus species. The L. rhamnosus strain in Pregnancy may therefore now also be known as Lacticaseibacillus rhamnosus HN001.
|No. Live Cultures
|1 capsule daily
Free UK Delivery over £40
Free standard UK delivery is automatically applied at the checkout when you spend £40.
Standard 2nd class: £2.50
Allow 4-10 working days (Monday - Friday) for delivery
1st class: £3.95
Allow 1-3 working days (Monday - Friday) for delivery
Express Next Day, order before 2pm (Tracked): £6.95
Allow 1-2 working day delivery to most of the UK*. Orders placed on Friday will be delivered on Monday (next working day). Requires signature.
Shipments will be dispatched via DHL or FedEx, the service will be selected depending on the delivery location.
*Express delivery may exclude the Channel Islands, Herm Island, Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, Northern Irish postcodes BT18 & upwards, Sark, Scottish borders and offshore and a small number of remote mainland destinations as determined by our delivery courier.
We offer an excellent worldwide delivery service. For more details, please take a look at our delivery FAQ.
If you have changed your mind, you can return goods, at your cost, unopened within 14 days for refund or exchange, this does not affect your statutory rights.
All questions answered by probiotic experts Dr Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc(Hons) Medical Biology and Louise Mason BA(Hons) DipCNM Nutritional Therapist, DipCNM Naturopath, mANP
Optibac Pregnancy friendly bacteria supplement contains special live cultures strains researched in women from conception, throughout pregnancy and early motherhood1,2,3,4. It is formulated just for pregnancy, with strains that have been proven to reach the gut and vagina. Optibac Pregnancy is also fine to take alongside your prenatal vitamin and mineral supplements.
1. Slykerman R et al. (2017). Effect of Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 in pregnancy on postpartum symptoms of depression and anxiety. EBioMedicine, 24, 159-165.
2. Prescott SL et al. (2008). Supplementation with Lactobacillus rhamnosus or Bifidobacterium lactis probiotics in pregnancy increases cord blood IFNy and breast milk transforming growth factor B and immunoglobin A detection. Clinical and experimental Allergy,38(10):1606- 1614.
3. Dekker J et al. (2009). Safety aspects of probiotic bacterial strains Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 and B. lactis HN019 in human infants aged 0-2. International Dairy Journal,149-154
4. Wickens K et al. (2017). Early pregnancy probiotic supplementation with Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 may reduce the prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus: a randomised controlled trial. British Journal of Nutrition, 117, 804-813.
Most friendly bacteria are completely safe to take when pregnant1, with a few exceptions. We do not recommend the yeast Saccharomyces boulardii or the friendly bacteria strain Bacillus coagulans Unique IS-2 during pregnancy. While there is no evidence to suggest that these friendly bacteria are harmful when used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, there is also no strong evidence to prove that they are completely safe to use. Therefore, we prefer to err on the side of caution. Our Kids Gummies and Adult Gummies supplements contain the strain Bacillus coagulans Unique IS-2, while Saccharomyces Boulardii and Travel Abroad contain S. boulardii.
1. Dekker J et al. (2009). Safety aspects of probiotic bacterial strains Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 and Bifidobacterium animalis subs. lactis HN019 in human infants aged 0-2 International Dairy Journal, 149-154.
Yes. Optibac Pregnancy is suitable to take both during pregnancy and post-birth, particularly when breastfeeding as baby gets the benefits of mum's good bacteria through her breast milk1.
1. Prescott SL et al., Supplementation with Lactobacillus rhamnosus or Bifidobacterium lactis probiotics in pregnancy increases cord blood IFNy and breast milk transforming growth factor B and immunoglobin A detection, Clinical and experimental Allergy , pp. 38 (10): 1606- 1614, 2008.
FOS fibres are often added to friendly bacteria supplements, such as Optibac Pregnancy, as they can be fermented by good bacteria in the gut to help increase the natural bacteria in your gut. FOS fibres are perfectly safe to take during pregnancy.