- Best taken with a meal, preferably with breakfast.
- Simply mix with your child's favorite foods or drinks - sprinkle the powder over cereal, mix in with yogurt or dissolve in water or cold milk.
- Can be taken with formula milk - simply add to the bottle once it has cooled down to room temperature (as heat reduces the viability of natural bacteria).
- For breastfed babies, powder can be applied to nipple or clean finger for baby to suckle.
- Give one sachet daily.
- If desired or professionally directed, can be increased to 2 sachets a day.
Looking for a delicious alternative for children aged 3 years+? Try our new friendly bacteria fruit gummies for kids.
Store in a cool, dry place below 25°C (77°F) and out of direct sunlight.
All questions answered by Dr. Kate Stephens PhD (Food and Microbial Sciences) BSc(Hons) Medical Microbiology and probiotic expert Kerry Beeson BSc (Nut. Med.) Nutritional Therapist.
Can you give a child too many probiotics?
Probiotics are very safe1,2 and you can’t ‘overdose’ on them. But in general, it's best to stick to our recommended daily amount of 1-2 sachets - especially if your child takes other vitamin supplements containing Vitamin D – keep an eye on their daily Vitamin D intake. If you have any concerns, please contact our nutrition team.
Is Babies & Children a vegetarian supplement?
Yes, Optibac Babies & Children is vegetarian, and it’s also gluten and dairy-free. There is no dairy present at any stage of the manufacturing, and the live cultures strains are vegan, but the added Vitamin D3 is vegetarian.
Is Optibac Babies & Children a good alternative to Biokult Infantis?
If you were previously using BioKult Infantis, you will know it has been discontinued. Fortunately, we’ve got you covered! Optibac Probiotics Babies & Children is an ideal BioKult Infantis alternative. Like BioKult Infantis, Babies & Children probiotic sachets contain added Fructooligosaccharide (FOS) fibres to maintain natural gut bacteria, and Vitamin D to support immune health. But unlike BioKult Infantis, Optibac Babies & Children is dairy-free, vegetarian, and contains the world's most researched live cultures strain6, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, extensively studied in infants and children.
If your children prefer drops or gummies, then check out our other highly researched, specifically formulated kids’ probiotic products in our Shop.
Probiotics are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. those who are severely immunosuppressed, have pancreatitis, are in the ICU, have melaena, have a central venous catheter, infants with short bowel syndrome, or patients with open wounds following major surgery; unless under a doctor's care. Keep out of reach of children.
This is a dietary supplement and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Dietary supplements should not be used as a substitute for a healthy lifestyle and varied diet. If you are taking any medications or have a serious medical condition, consult a doctor before use. Optibac supplements will not cause dependency and may be used on an ongoing basis.
1. Athalye-Jape G et al. (2017). Bifidobacterium breve M-16V as a probiotic for pretern infants: A strain specific review. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, 42 (4): 677-688.
2. Manzoni, P. et al (2011) Routine Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG administration in VLBW infants: A retrospective, 6-year cohort study. Early Human Development (87) 35–38.
3. Dronkers, T. M. G., Ouwehand, A. C. and Rijkers, G. T. (2020) ‘Global analysis of clinical trials with probiotics’, Heliyon, 6(7). doi: 10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e04467.3